RESEARCH LABORATORY CAPABILITIES
The Nanofabrication Research Laboratory (NRL)
at CNMS includes approximately 10,000 ft2 of clean room
space in a bay and chase configuration (see
schematic). This clean room space and the capabilities it houses
provide support for users in all of the CNMS Scientific Themes. The
following capabilities are available in the NRL:
with design of process flow to implement users’ device
concepts using the facilities housed in the CNMS Nanofabrication
of the art JEOL JBX-9300–100 kV electron beam lithography
system for high resolution nanopatterning. Requisite
resist processing tools.
FEI Nova 600 scanning electron microscope/focused ion beam system
for micro- and nanofabrication.
Rapid Thermal Processing Tool
- A FirstNano automated cold wall furnace for processing of a wide range of materials, coatings and structures on individual 4" wafers under reducing or oxidative atmospheres (H2, N2, Ar, O2) at variable pressures (<100 mTorr to atmospheric), temperatures up to 1150°C, and ramping rates up to 250°C per second.
Plasma Atomic Layer Deposition
- Highly conformal plasma atomic layer deposition of Al2O3, AlN, HfO2, HfN, TiO2, SiO2, and vanadium oxide. Deposition temperatures as low as 30°C available.
Contact mask aligner system with broadband
(405–365 nm) exposure optics. Laser-based optical
mask writer system to support mask development needs.
- High-Resolution SEM Analysis
JEOL JSM-7400 and a Hitachi S4700 field-emission scanning electron microscopes capable of better than 2nm resolution from 500eV to 30keV.
- Deep Silicon Etching/ Reactive Ion Etching
Two Oxford 100 DRIE/RIE systems capable of Bosch process etching, cryo processing, and standard RIE dry etching of silicon, silicon oxide, and silicon nitride materials for MEMs, NEMs, and general silicon fabrication. One of the systems is also configured to use chlorine based chemistries for etching non-silicon based materials such as transition metal oxides and pure metals.
- Thermal Oxidation
A high temperature wet/dry oxidation furnace is available
for the growth of high quality silicon dioxide thin
films on silicon substrates.
- Chemical Vapor Deposition
chemical vapor deposition of SiO2, Si3N4 (low
stress), and poly-Si (doped and undoped). Low
temperature plasma enhanced chemical vapor deposition of SiO2,
Si3N4 and silicon oxy-nitrides.
- Physical Vapor Deposition
evaporation, thermal evaporation, and sputter deposition of metals,
semiconductors, and dielectrics.
- Reactive Ion Etching
Technics RIE system is available for dry etching dielectric
and polymer materials.
- Spectroscopic Reflectometry
- Advanced Optical Profilometry
Dynamic characterization of nanoscale deformations, large area roughness and flatness analysis with subnanometer resolution.
- Surface Profilometry
- Electrical Properties Measurements (DC to 6 GHZ)
provided by other CNMS groups