The Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences (CNMS) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory is pleased to announce plans for the 2011 CNMS User Meeting, to be held on September 19-20 at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
annual user meeting combines oral presentations, poster sessions,
workshops and tutorials into a compact program
designed to illuminate the frontiers of nanoscience research
and acquaint researchers with the scientific resources for nanoscience that this user facility
The 2011 User Meeting will feature:
- Invited plenary talks by international leaders presenting their vision of nanoscience research challenges and opportunities:
- A. J. Millis, Columbia University
- Yang Shao-Horn, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Ichiro Takeuchi, University of Maryland
- James Watkins, University of Massachusetts
- Invited user presentations by users of CNMS facilities:
- David Bucknall, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Marco Buongiorno-Nardelli, North Carolina State University
- Banglin Chen, University of Texas at San Antonio
- Stefano Curtarolo, Duke University
- Mark Dadmun, University of Tennessee
- Mark Hujiben, University of Twente
- Dave McComb, Ohio State University
- Shirley Meng, University of California, San Diego
- Keith Neeves, Colorado School of Mines
- Rafael Verduzco, Rice University
- Early Career Awards Showcase
- The RidgeDance NanoScience Film Festival will be back by popular demand on Monday evening as well. Attendees are invited to submit video clips or still images of their work. Contact Chris Rouleau or Peter Cummings for additional information.
- Complete information on how to become a user.
- User Proposal Planning- Ample opportunity to meet with facility staff and other researchers to discuss and plan for submission of user proposals.
- User Group business meeting will provide opportunities for the user community at-large to provide input on planning and future facility developments.
- User Research Posters: Current facility users and prospective users will present results of their research and share their experiences at the user facilities. The User Poster Session on Monday evening will provide a great opportunity for grad students and postdocs to present and discuss their research with colleagues.
Advance Registration is required to attend this user meeting because of access control at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, a U.S. Department of Energy facility (Deadline: August 31, 2011). On-site registration will not be available. All attendees are required to register and provide their name, affiliation, and contact information. Those without an ORNL badge will also be asked for date and place of birth and citizenship.
Access to ORNL is for the purpose of attending this user meeting only and does not enable access to other ORNL facilities or laboratories. Access to ORNL requires photo identification; foreign nationals will need to bring their valid passport and visa.
The CNMS user facility is supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Basic Energy Sciences to provide specialized instrumentation and expertise to researchers from universities, national laboratories, and industry that enables them to conduct forefront research that would otherwise not be possible with resources at their home institutions.
We hope to see you here in September!